Friday, September 25, 2009

Hearts pinmanship


When I first started writing Pete I had a hell of a time finding a pen, then finding a pen that worked. Everything is e-mail now and days. I dont even write checks anymore. It felt weird writing again. Im use to typing and I had to slow down my thinking so my hand would keep up.
Letters are so much more personal then e-mails. More depth. I got a letter from Pete today, with an address to send my stack of letter too. God, it felt so good to just look at his handwriting. It didnt even matter what he was writing about. I imagine his relief when he gets all of my letters and pictures. It will make him smile and maybe forget about his swollen bloody feet, or the millions of pushups he did that day...and has to do tomorrow. Relief.

Today is my little brothers 27th birthday. I cant believe it. When he was born they only gave him a 10% chance of living. He was born with a broken heart. So his birthdays mean more to me then my own. It wasnt until I became a parent did I start to understand my mom's anguish. I was driving home from Charlies first immunization shots crying my eyes out. To stand and watch your child in pain, is one of the most painful things ever. Ever. Now imagine watching your newborn go threw open heart surgery, or watch him poked with needles so many times that he just stops crying. Life changing for a mother. It wasnt just Brandons heart that was broken. It was my mom's too. So, my little brother is 27. Take that "odds". Tonight I go to bed grateful for the old school romance of pen to paper, and grateful for a great big heart that beat all odds.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Bre..Im so happy you heard from him and can send him your letters!--Lindsey

    ReplyDelete